Wednesday, September 5, 2012

One More Down

Annie drove little Joe to school today for his first full day of kindergarten! Me and Charlie sat on the porch waiting for her return. She pulled in and I could see the mascara streaks on her face from crying. I thought for sure Joe threw a fit. We actually all expected it. Joe did great. He told his mom he loved her and he turned and walked into his classroom.

Funny how kids always surprise us. As a mom and a grandma my heart pings when the little guys start sprouting their wings. As a psychologist I know that typically if a child has some separation anxiety it is 9 times out of 10 the mom that really has it. Such is life.

Bravo Joe for a job well done you fooled us all!

Here Are Some Tips If Your Little One Just Can't Let Go

The biggest fear a child has is that they will not be able to function without mom. Clearly the answer is to teach them that they can.


  1. Start Out Small-Teaching your child that they are self sufficient can be taught in small steps. Leave your child with a trusted adult for short periods that get increasingly longer each day. 
  2. Don't Make a Show Of It- I run into this one a lot. Mom is leaving and stops ten times to comfort a child. I know it is your baby and you never want to see them sad, but the reality is you are doing more harm than good by feeding the drama. Explain the situation once and leave with a kiss on the check. You are the adult don't let em trick you into staying longer for long good byes.
  3. Never Lie Or Sneak Away-I know it is easier to quietly slip out the back door, but it is only easier for you. It is never ok for the child that you sneak away from. It is confusing and deceptive and sets junior up for failure. It also causes trust issues so the next time you say "you are going to so and so and I will be back soon to pick you up" it is not going to be as believable. 
  4. Stick to the Point-Keep it simple. You do not have to keep explaining yourself. Children only need the basic information. Mommy or daddy just needs to state that they are leaving and that they will return at such and such don't draw it out. 
  5. Take a Deep Breath- Take a deep breath and walk away! It is far worse for you than it is for them!

Happy Day Ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment